BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

55 days, 1328 hours, or 79,734 minutes to go...but who's counting?

In just 55 days from now (May 15, 2010), Jessica and I will know whether our dreams of becoming a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader are over or just beginning. I can only imagine the wave of emotions we will soon experience on this day, but I'm getting way ahead of myself. Let me start with how this dream started...




For myself, I can distinctly remember watching the Dallas Cowboys games on TV with my Dad at an early age. In fact, he actually took me to watch their training camp at St. Edward's University in downtown Austin. I was super excited to stand out in the 100 degree heat to catch a glimpse of "Troy Boy" (as my dad referred to him) and my favorite Emmitt Smith! But it wasn't until I actually went to a game my Junior year in high school that THE Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders caught my eye. I'm not sure if it was the uniform, the glittering of the poms, or just the poise and beauty they displayed on and off the field, but from that point on I knew I wanted to be one of them. You would think with this epiphany I would have immediately immersed myself in dance classes and begun preparing to become a DCC, but here I sit 10 years later at the age of 26 with no "real" formal dance training and still unable to do their infamous jump splits (or even just the splits for that matter). In all fairness, this dream of mine was actually tucked away for about 9 years until I met my partner in crime Ms. Jessica Kruckemeyer (I'll have her post her background story soon).




Jessica came to work with me in the summer of 2008. As she was filling out new hire paperwork on her first day of work she noticed my desktop wallpaper was of course, a team photo of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. She asked me about it and I shyly admitted that one of my life-long dreams was to become a DCC. I was a little embarrassed, but unbeknownst to me this was a secret dream of hers as well!




Again, you would think "Wow, 2 crazy girls with the same dream! Now they can prepare together!". But no, a year passed by and there was still no real thought to actually trying out. It wasn't until this past October that we decided we would try out this May. At that time, we had a good 7 months to start stretching, dancing, growing our hair out :-), and becoming all that is THE DCC. Plenty of time, right?




So flash forward to today. Jessica and I have been working with a dance instructor on and off for a couple of months, but definitely not as much as we should have been. Neither one of us is in the splits yet, but our hair has grown longer. Needless to say, we've got our work cut out for us in the next 55 days. I am not being pessimistic, just realistic. This blog is our way of holding ourselves accountable. We have fabulous ideas, but struggle with the execution. It's GO time and we're determined to give it all we've got in the next 55 days.


0 comments: